B.Tech - Information Technology
Engineering Course : Duration is 4 years.
The course is divided into eight semesters, each of six months duration of which the first two semesters are combined. Students will have to appear for the first University examination at the end of the 2nd semester, in April. Thereafter, they will have to appear for a University examination (theory and practical) at the end of every semester i.e., in April and December.
With an aim to carve a niche for itself in CS/IT and allied domains, the department strives to:
- Become a pioneering world-class centre of excellence in education and research through collaborative, consultative and participatory approaches.
- Nurture effective capabilities for the development of high quality technical and scientific manpower to meet challenges of the knowledge-era.
- Provide cost-effective information and communications technology (ICT)-based solutions and value-added services to a variety of organizations and to meet the expectations of stakeholders.
- Foster a learning and creative community that will continuously advance the frontiers of knowledge and promote the deployment and usage of ICT-based applications for betterment of society at large.
The department wants to develop one of the best computing infrastructure including domain-specific labs such as Programming Languages, Operating Systems, Database, Networking, Software Engineering, Open Source Software, Internet and Multimedia Technologies.
The labs will be well equipped with the latest equipment for training; research and development in emerging technological domains supported by state-of-the art laboratories having high-end computers (operating on Windows NT/Linux/Solaris platforms). Each laboratory further will have the relevant software packages with requisite number of user licenses.
The department wants to also set up specialized laboratories such as Wireless and Sensor Networks, Embedded Systems, Image Processing, Grid Computing, Network Modeling and Simulation. These labs will be in-line with the objectives of academic programmes and associated courses.
Thus, these will ideally cater to the needs of students and faculty for enriching them intellectually through participative and collaborative approaches.
There will be plenty of opportunities for students to supplement the conventional technical education using the following practices:
- In-plant Training and Industry Visits
- Programming and Problem-solving Contests
- Projects and Quiz Competitions
- Students Seminars and Debates
- Interviews and Group Discussions
- Team-building Exercises
- Innovation and Creativity Clubs
- Audio-Visual Presentations and Foreign Language Classes
- Personality Development Programmes
The teaching aids will include Multimedia LCD projectors, and smart class rooms. Campus-wide access to digital library will be provided which links to International Journals and magazines.
The faculty and students will enjoy round- the-clock Internet access that is augmented continuously and ample freedom and facilities to execute projects and transform concepts into actions and applications.
Frequent visits by leading lights from industry, academia and government will give the students a unique opportunity for interaction. Thus the students will benefit from participatory learning and hands-on exposure to state-of the-art technology in emerging fields.
The latest designed Information Technology course leads the students to newer environment including Internet applications and design, besides the traditional opportunities in computer career. Web applications require enormous knowledge of several components like web servers, use of web application tools besides OOPS concept and JAVA, which is considered to be the de-facto language of the future. They have greater opportunities in software development because of their excellent knowledge in Internet Science. In the future, IT industry will purely depend on information technologist. Besides the job opportunities in the technology world, options are available to pursue higher studies in areas of networking, distributed systems, and web technologies.